Elementary School Resources
Elementary Math Performance Standards
Mathematical literacy is essential for every individual in today's technological society. A working knowledge of mathematics is needed to deal with the qualitative, quantitative, and spatial relationships that are encountered in everyday life. Therefore, the overall goal of the Mathematics Program for the Anchorage School District is to provide the opportunity for all students to learn, use, communicate, apply, appreciate, and enjoy the mathematics appropriate for their age, needs and ambitions.
General Program Goals
Students will be able to:
- Use problem-solving approaches to investigate and understand mathematical content.
- Formulate problems from everyday and mathematical situations.
- Develop and apply strategies to solve a wide variety of problems.
- Verify and interpret results with respect to the original problem.
- Acquire confidence in using mathematics meaningfully.
- Relate physical materials, pictures, and diagrams to mathematical ideas.
- Reflect on and clarify thinking about mathematical ideas and situations.
- Relate everyday language to mathematical language and symbols.
- Realize that representing, discussing, reading, writing, and listening are vital parts of learning math.
- Formulate logical conclusions.
- Use models, known facts, properties, and relationships to explain thinking.
- Use patterns and relationships to analyze mathematical situations.
- Relate various representations of concepts or procedures to one another.
- Make and evaluate mathematical conjectures; justify answers and solutions; validate thinking.
- Appreciate the pervasive use and power of reasoning as a part of mathematics.
- Link conceptual and procedural knowledge; recognize relationships among different topics in mathematics; see mathematics as an integrated whole.
- Explore problems and describe results using graphical, numerical, physical, and verbal models or representations.
- Use mathematical ideas to further understanding of other mathematical ideas.
- Use and apply mathematics in other curriculum areas; use mathematics in daily life.
- Value the role of mathematics in culture and society.
Use the menu at right to view the standards for each grade level.