Sports and activities
Middle school participation
Participating in middle school sports and activities
Alaska law requires school districts to have a program for the prevention and management of concussions in student athletes. See the documents below for an overview of ASD's program, concussion information, required forms and more.
A $100 activity fee per ASD-sponsored sport is required unless:
- a student applies for and receives a fee waiver based on hardship through the school activity office
- or a family meets the $390 cap* for middle or high school activity fees.
*A family cap will be implemented once the students in a family have paid $390 to participate in activities including any combination of middle and high school activities.
A $5 concussion baseline fee is required (no waivers).
Online payment of fees is available at some schools through the Zangle student information system. Online payments for activities are being activated on a school-by-school basis during implementation of this feature. Contact your school with questions regarding payment.
Middle school students may participate in interscholastic and intramural athletics and a variety of academic and recreational activities. Students who would like to participate in interscholastic and intramural sports must:
- be enrolled as a full-time student in the Anchorage School District (four or more classes)
- have an Activity Participation form (PDF) signed by a parent/guardian for each sport
- have a current sports physical on file with the school; this exam is good for one year from date of issue
- complete a concussion baseline test prior to participation.
In order to practice or play in a game, a student must be in attendance at school a minimum of one-half day, except for extenuating circumstances (such as a school field trip) approved by an administrator.
How to register
When registering to participate in an activity please have the following:
- Health Exam form signed by doctor, student and parent/guardian. Health exams are good for one year and must be current through the season of the sport.
- Fee waiver form if requesting a waiver
- Middle school activity participation form (PDF) . Form filled out by parent and student to give consent to participate in activities.
- Concussion fact sheet/parent acknowledgement/baseline fee (PDF)
- includes Activity Sponsors' Handbook and Athletics information
- Refund form - Please bring this to the activity clerk at your school if seeking refund of an activity fee.
Gender equity info
- ASD policies and Title IX information
- Title IX FAQ