Capital Planning & Construction
West High School and Romig Middle School overview
West High School was originally built in 1953; Romig Middle School in 1963. Since then, each facility has had various additions and renovations. The most recent projects, Career Technology Education additions and Site Improvements, were completed in 2015 and 2016 respectively. For years, West High School was “Anchorage High School”. Its 1,845-seat auditorium served as Anchorage’s major venue for performing arts. More than an educational facility, it was Anchorage’s community center. Residents of the area served by West High and Romig Middle Schools have expressed a desire for the campus to be a “Center of Community”. More than 60 community groups presently use the campus on a regular basis.