Choices in Education
The school district uses a lottery system to provide an equal opportunity for students who request participation in an alternative program or school for which the number of applications exceeds the number of available openings. Approval or denial is based on space availability and grade level and gender balance. No student shall be denied participation because of a learning disability, handicapping condition or special need. Lottery procedures are determined by school board policy 322.3.
Lotteries are held two times each year: during the last two weeks of March and the week prior to registration.
Applications for the next lottery are now being accepted.
Beginning with the March 2013 lottery, ASD started using an online lottery system with a limited number of schools (PDF) . The new system is easy to use and delivers a fair, transparent and centralized lottery solution. Parents also have the option to apply and check the status of their application on mobile devices. The system will produce randomly selected student lists that have been organized and ranked according to the district's lottery policy. It's important to note that ASD is not changing its lottery policy, just implementing a new system.
How to use the online lottery system
Check the list of participating schools and programs (PDF) that are available for the online lottery this spring.
- Have a Zangle account?
Parents who have children enrolled in or who are attending the Anchorage School District in the current school year must log in to the online lottery system using their Zangle PIN and password at http://lotapp.asdk12.org/apply. Parents can also access the system directly from Zangle ParentConnect. When logged in to ParentConnect, look for the "Online Lottery" link at the top of the page. If unsure of Zangle PIN and password, contact your child's school for assistance.
- New to the Anchorage School District?
Parents who are new to the Anchorage School District can log in at http://lotapp.asdk12.org/apply and will have the opportunity to create an account in the new system.
- Already submitted a paper application?
Parents who have already submitted a paper application for a particular program are NOT required to resubmit. These applications have been entered into the system by ASD. Contact the desired school or program and request that the front office staff connect the application to your online account.
Help for the online system
Find answers to many of the common questions about the lottery, learn about the steps of the process, and find video tours for the online lottery process.
- Frequently asked questions
- Step-by-step lottery process
- Parent video: walk-through of application process
- Additional video demonstrations
- Online lottery parent flier (PDF)
- About the new Smart Choice lottery system
If the online lottery is not available for your desired school (PDF) please do not use a paper application. Use the forms below only if your desired school is not participating in the online lottery system. The forms library has translated versions in Hmong, Korean, Samoan, Spanish and Tagalog.
- Step by step lottery process for paper form (PDF)
- Elementary lottery application
- Elementary zone exemption application
- Secondary zone exception/lottery application
Special education services are available to all students attending alternative, optional and charter schools of the district; however, not all resources and services available in neighborhood schools are necessarily available in each lottery school.
Key dates for Spring 2013 lottery
- February 4 - Online lottery application period opens.
- February 9 - Alternative Programs Fair
- March 21, 3 p.m. - Application deadline for March 2013 lottery.
- March 22 - Date of lottery.
- March 29 - Parent notification of lottery results. Both accepted and wait-listed families will be notified.
- April 2 - Deadline for parents to accept results of lottery. Must be done online.