Visual Arts Program
Careers and schools
- Alfred University, School of Art & Design
- This program has a reputation for ceramics, including industrial ceramics.
- American College of Building Arts
- For students interested in historical preservation and building restoration; programs of study include Architectural Stone Carving, Finish Carpentry, Masonry, Architectural Metal, Plaster Working and Timber Framing.
- Archie Bray Foundation for the Ceramic Arts
- For students interested in furthering their career in ceramics
- Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Online Division
- Provides online creative arts education opportunities, including media arts and animation
- Art Institutes
- Listing of art institutes nationwide and their program offerings. Many ASD graduates have received scholarships to attend the Seattle Art Institute, Chicago Art Institute and Minneapolis Art Institute.
- Art Schools
- A directory of art schools and colleges for those interested in a variety of fields, including graphic design, fashion, interactive media, interior design, game design, Web design, photography and film.
The Art Education Resources
section includes articles on how to choose an art school, what to study and how to succeed.
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
- This center in Nebraska offers an artist residency program
- Brooks Institute of Photography
- For students interested in photography, both digital and traditional imaging, film and video production, and visual communication careers.
- California College of Arts
- For students interested in both traditional and contemporary art forms
- Computer schools
- Listing of computer schools, information technology training and certification programs across the nation.
- Course Advisor
- This site lets students search and browse for schools by areas of interest or degree level.
- Craft Web
- Students interested in developing a career in crafts, particularly ceramics, weaving, metal smithing, woodworking, glass, boatbuilding, and decorative arts may find this site useful.
- Cranbrook Academy of Art
- For students interested in 3-D Design
- Degree Finder - Art, Design and Performing Arts Schools
- Degree Finder is an education directory to over 1,000 colleges, universities and career schools.
- EDU Directory
- Listing of art schools and institutes nationwide in a broad variety of studies
- Online degree and college search
- Harvard University
- Harvard has both undergraduate and graduate level studies in art, including a Master's program that allows students to direct their own arts-related course of study. Harvard Professor Howard Gardner authored the widely recognized essay in support of arts education, Project Zero and The Arts in Education Program: Passion Tempered by Discipline.
- Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago
- For students interested in media arts, design, fashion or culinary arts careers
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- MassArt offers programs in Studio Foundation, Critical Studies, Communication Design, Fine Arts 2-D and 3-D, Media & Performing Arts, plus graduate studies and continuing education.
- Ohio State University - College of the Arts
- OSU offers both art studio and art education programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Both the BFA and MFA in ceramics, sculpture and glass are strengths of the art program. An online Master's degree in art education is also offered.
- Parsons, The New School for Design
- This program has a wide spectrum of association, undergraduate and graduate art degrees, including fashion marketing, fashion studies and graphic design. It also offers studies not found at all schools such as Critical Studies, History of Decorative Arts and Integrated Design.
- Pratt Institute
- For students interested in architecture, industrial design, and interior design
- Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts
- For students interested in jewelry making, this academy offers short intensive classes along with diploma programs
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Offers both undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts. Architecture and design are available in addition to museum studies and a variety of studio art degrees.
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- This college offers a broad spectrum of career options, including product design, theater design, state and set design and restoration.
- State University of New York - Buffalo
- The Department of Art at UB offers a Sculpture Program at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- University of South Florida - College of The Arts
- USF offers strong fine arts programs in ceramics and sculpture, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Vancouver Institute of Media Arts
- For students interested in studying animation
- Worcester Center for Crafts
- The center offers workshops and classes in craft skills. The School for Professional Crafts offers programs in fibers, ceramics, metal and wood.