Minimum Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One year custodial experience is required.
- One year of semi-skilled maintenance experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of a J-3 custodial position, to include methods and materials used in custodial work, is required.
- Ability to speak, read, comprehend and write English.
- Ability to keep written records and originate written reports.
- Ability to perform heavy work required, such as extensive stooping and crouching, sustained standing, pushing and pulling and frequent lifting of over 25 pounds. Ability to make substantial movement of the wrists hands and fingers required.
- Ability to communicate with the school staff, co-workers and the public is required.
- Successful completion of written test administered by Human Resources on file.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operations and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to use custodial equipment safely and effectively.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Opens school plant in the morning and checks for vandalism.
- Checks heating and electrical equipment and facilities.
- Surveys buildings and grounds for hazards. Reports any findings to supervisor.
- Makes minor repairs to custodial equipment, classroom furniture, etc.
- Cleans outside of building, such as sidewalks, by sweeping and/or snow removal. Sands and/or chips ice on steps and walkways, keeping all entrances and exits free of all snow and ice. Clears a path to dumpster for safe trash removal.
- Keeps school grounds in a safe and sanitary condition, removing paper, cans, and trash from the school grounds on a daily basis.
- Maintains playground equipment in safe condition, including areas around swings, climbing apparatus, and other playground equipment.
- Reports when repairs are necessary.
- Arranges cafeteria, multi-purpose rooms and other rooms for meetings and special events.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Raises and lowers flag each day school is in session.
- Locks and secures building as required.
- Cleans up all spills during shift.
- Sweeps halls and entryways daily.
- Regularly checks restrooms during shift for cleanliness and replenishes supplies as needed.
- Assists teachers as requested.
- Cleans assigned area on a daily basis.
- Receives, accounts for and stores school and custodial supplies and equipment when delivered.
- Cleans stopped/clogged plumbing fixtures, or reports problems when necessary.
- Waters and maintains lawns and shrubs immediately surrounding the school.
- Washes exterior windows.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is open to In-Bargaining Unit Employees only. Submit Employee Transfer Form #501 to ASD Operations Department. It is a condition of employment that the selected applicant become a member of Local 71.