You have been selected to help design a vacation package to one of the planets in Earth's solar system. You and your team will create a company that will put together a vacation package that can safely deliver your clients to your vacation destination. Your team consists of a rocket specialist, spacesuit designer, travel agent and astronomer.
Your company's goals include the following:
1. Print one copy of the Project Profile and complete each section.
2. Take out a sheet of paper, and as a group, brainstorm the needs of living things. Print a copy of The Needs of Living Things Framework.
3. Investigate the General Sites found in the resource section. Once you have found a site that contains information about your planet complete The Needs of Living Things Framework.
4. Research the General Sites, print and complete the Physical Characteristics Form.
5. Using the Needs of Living Things Framework and the Physical Characteristics form, establish a list of challenges your planet presents. Brainstorm a list of solutions. Save these notes for future reference.
6. Based on your destination and the solutions you have proposed, discuss the special features you want to include in the vacation package. Be sure to take notes and save them for future reference.
8. Go to the resource section and search under your topic being careful to take notes as needed.
9. Sketch a rough draft of your plan.
10. Occupational Conference: At this point you will attend a meeting with others who share your occupation. The purpose of this meeting is to compare notes, discuss challenges, and offer encouragement.
11. Company Meeting: Meet with the members of your group to update each other on your findings. Be sure your plan is flowing and that the work you are doing compliments that of the others in your group.
12. It is now time for you to focus and begin creating your final product. Refer your job description and the rubric to determine your progress. Maintain open communication with the rest of your Company to assure that your final project is a package and not separate products.
13. Company Meeting: The purpose of this meeting is to plan the presentation of your vacation package. Keep in mind that you will be presenting to a group of investors who are interested in funding your project. Your must persuade, inform, and sell them your idea.
14. Presentations. Be professional, speak in a clear voice, and use visual aides to help present your idea.
Congratulations, your company is now in business! Write a summary addressing the following questions:
1. After listening to each group's proposal, which planet would you want to visit on vacation, and why?
2. What was the most interesting thing about your planet you learned?
3. What part of your project do your feel went well?
4. What could you or members of your group have done differently?
5. Offer advice to future students who may participate in the project.
2. Space games.
Grade Level: 5th - 8th Grade
General Information: This project was designed to be used as an activity during study of the solar system.
Students will be able to:
Standards: Alaska State Education Standards and GLE's
Web Quest Adapted from: Sunshine Goble
Rubric Created using: Rubistar