English Language Learners
- Help students develop both language and academic skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) so that they may enter regular English Language Learner or regular education classes
- Help students become acculturated to U.S. schools and society
- Help students become aware of educational expectations and opportunities
Who is a newcomer?
A newcomer is a student new to the United States who does not speak English well enough to function in either the regular education classroom or the English Language Learner classroom at their local middle school or high school.
Who is eligible?
- Students in grades 6-12 who are new to the country and the Anchorage School District
- Students who have been in the United States less than two years
- Students who have a history of interrupted or limited formal education
- Students who have non-proficient placement scores on the Idea English Language Proficiency Test (IPT) - Oral, Reading and Writing
What do newcomers study?
Newcomer students enroll in a combination of Social Studies and Language Arts classes. Students may study geography, U.S. history, world history and language arts classes. Classes may include a reading lab, individualized writing, grammar and vocabulary, composition, English 9 and English 10.
Our program relocated to Wendler Middle School in fall 2010. Please note our new location at 2905 Lake Otis Parkway, Anchorage, Alaska 99508. Our new phone is 742-7432.
What we offer:
- The Newcomers' Program is a part of the ASD English Language Learners Program
- A safe learning environment
- Potential to earn 1.5 credits per semester
- Small classes
- Individualized instruction
- Lessons incorporating Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP)
- Assistance in adjusting to American culture and language
- Morning and afternoon sessions
- Students may attend from one to four semesters. Determination is based on student progress.
- Highly trained staff
- Current curricula and technological tools applied
- English Language Learner Classes for parents