English Language Learners
ESL Parent Classes
Newcomers' Center parent classes focus on motivating parents to get involved in their children's education and learn the skills needed to help their children succeed in school. We hope to accomplish this by familiarizing parents with ASD schools, the Anchorage community and the United States. We teach conversational English, reading and writing and help prepare parents for citizenship tests. We also help families connect with health and social services and educational organizations that provide counseling and information about work programs.
The classes focus on:
- Parent involvement
- Basic English/speaking, reading, writing and listening with a emphasis on grammar
- Literacy and reading skills
- Understanding the Anchorage School District educational system to increase the academic success of students
- Improving conversation between school and parents
- Empowering parents to be proactive in their children's education
- Increasing awareness of community resources
Who can/should attend:
Any parent or guardian who has a student enrolled in the Anchorage School District.
How to register:
Contact Imitiaz Azzam at 742-7432 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrollees need to bring a notebook, pen or pencil. Teaching materials are provided.
Newcomers’ Center, Wendler Middle School, 2905 Lake Otis Parkway Anchorage, Alaska 99508.
Fridays 5 -7:30 p.m.
Saturdays 1-3:30 p.m.
Classes are held twice a week October through May. Call the Newcomers' Center at 742-7432 for more details.