Applications for 2017 Spring placement
will be accepted September 1-30,2016
Student teacher/intern approval process
Student teacher/intern placements in the Anchorage School District (individuals enrolled in a teacher preparation program who are attempting to secure their culminating field experience) are required to submit an ASD online application.
ASD online student teacher applications are approved for placement consideration in the order in which they are received. Make sure your online application is accurate and showcases your strengths. Follow all the directions carefully so you do not slow down the approval process. Due to the increased numbers of student teacher applications, ASD cannot guarantee a placement.
You must complete both Part 1 and Part 2 below to student teach/intern in the ASD.
Follow these steps to complete the ASD application:
1. University prerequisites
Ensure you have met all of your university requirements before applying for a student teacher/intern placement with the ASD.
2. Online application preparation
- Have you already applied as a substitute teacher with the ASD? If so, you can continue/modify your application in order to add on the student teacher portion.
- Prepare answers to the following open-ended questions. Word process your short answers (limit half page for each) so you can cut and paste the content directly into the online application. Principals will use your responses as a way to get to know you better.
- Write a brief autobiographical sketch about yourself. Tell us your story.
- Please select three adjectives that others might use to describe you. Explain each.
- What are your personal and professional goals for your student teaching experience?
- It is highly recommended to upload a current resume to your online application.
- You are not required to upload university transcripts.
- Please do not contact schools, principals, or teachers about student teaching placements on your own. Failure to follow that direction could result in your application not being approved.
3. Completing the online application
The approval process begins with the submission of your online application. It takes about 20 minutes to complete the application. If you need to continue/modify it at a later time, that is not a problem.
- Begin by printing out these directions.
- Click on the "Apply now" link below.
- Click on the "Start an application for employment" link. Do not be concerned that this is an employment link. All applications are housed here including the one for student teachers/interns.
- Use the "Navigation" menu on the left of the page to help keep track of where you are in the application.
- When you reach Step 4: "Vacancy Desired," skip this page by clicking the "Next Page" button. You should not be applying for any jobs since you are a student teacher/intern. See example.
- On Step 5: "Position Desired," click the box at the bottom of the page that says “University Student Teacher/Intern.” That action will load the rest of the student teacher/intern application for you to complete. See example. Complete the rest of the application using the "Next Page" button. When you are done, click "Finish and Submit."
4. Common mistakes
- Selecting job openings on Step 4: Vacancy Desired
(skip this step - it does not pertain to student teachers)
- Clicking too many boxes on Step 5: Position Desired
(only select student teacher/intern at the bottom of the screen)
- Weak responses to the three open-ended questions
(provide an explanation for each adjective you list in the 2nd essay question)
- Contacting schools directly
(applications can be rejected for this infraction)
- Not allowing enough lead time when applying to DEED
(must hold a Student Teacher Authorization or an Initial Teaching Certificate in order to student teach)
5. Next steps
The Student Teaching Placement Coordinator will organize all efforts between your university and the ASD to approve your application and determine a specific student teaching placement.
- You should not contact schools, principals, or teachers about student teaching.
- Respond promptly to any communication you receive from the district.
- Always keep your email contact information current.
For online application technical assistance, contact:
Sarah Hotchkiss, 907-742-4010
For Student Teacher/Intern applicant questions, contact: