"To be a partner with the educational community to enable students to achieve their full learning potential by providing visually appealing, nutritionally sound and well balanced meals; meals that will promote growth, development and enhance the learning environment."
Student Nutrition is taking a leadership role and a proactive approach in providing students with nutritious meals. Our focus areas are:
- Nutrition - Provide age-specific, nutritionally balanced menus at breakfast and lunch.
- Achievement - Provide nutritional messages on our menus and a Nutrition Nuggets Newsletter sent home to our families monthly.
- Activity - Hold quarterly Advisory Committee meetings where the parents are welcomed.
Breakfast and lunch menus are available at each school. They are also posted here, in the Student Nutrition section of the district's website.
Nutritional guidelines and health inspections
These guidelines follow the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which recommend that no more than 30 percent of an individual’s calories come from fat, and less than 10 percent from saturated fat. School lunches must provide one-third of the Recommended Dietary Allowances of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium & calories. These meals are nutritionally balanced by the week.
Health inspections of food preparation areas are conducted by the municipal health department. The school district also employs a full-time microbiologist to ensure safe food handling and preparation.
See our handouts for ASD menu item nutritional information:
- Elementary breakfast nutritional item chart
- Elementary lunch nutritional item chart
- High school meals nutritional item chart
Free and reduced-price lunch information
The Anchorage School District provides free meals and reduced-price meals for elementary, middle and high school students who are eligible under the National School Lunch Program and National School Breakfast Program. Children from households whose income is at or below designated financial levels are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals. See the Free and Reduced Price Web page for additional information.