Visit Our Schools Month
Visit Our Schools Month FAQ
Frequently asked questions
Click on a question to read the answer or use the "Show all answers" link below.
- What is Visit Our Schools Month?
- Community members, businesses and parents are invited to visit any ASD school during the month of February to learn more about the community's public schools. While schools welcome members of the public year-round, this coordinated effort provides parents and community members an opportunity to learn more about the many educational opportunities available.
Who: Parents, prospective parents, community members, business professionals.
When: Tours are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. every Tuesday in February. All schools will also hold an evening tour at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 28.
Where: All ASD schools.
Visit Our Schools Month is NOT an open house style event where people go about their own path. This is a guided tour.
- Why February?
- Having Visit Our Schools Month in February will give parents an opportunity to research school options prior to the spring lottery, which is typically held at the end of March. The lottery is now conducted online and can be used to apply for all ASD charter, alternative and optional schools and programs. The online lottery includes zone exemption applications.
- Is February the only time for tours?
- No. Many schools give tours upon request throughout the school year. Visit Our Schools Month supports a coordinated effort during the month of February to provide parents and community members an opportunity to learn more about the many educational opportunities available to them.
- What should I expect?
- Tours begin promptly at 9:30 a.m. so please arrive on time. Tours may be given by the school principal or key staff members. A current parent or student may accompany the tour to help answer questions and give different angles of feedback. The school will have a small packet of informational materials for participants to take home if they wish.
- Student safety
- The safety of our students will always remain our top priority. All people on tours will be checked in through normal procedures that visitors follow. Principals and school staff will be leading the tours. Students will continue classroom activities during tours and the tours will not interfere with student learning.