A message from the Superintendent
The Anchorage School District is in its fourth budgeting cycle under my tenure. Unfortunately, all four years have included reduced or static revenue at the state level. To provide a balanced budget as required by statute, these reductions have resulted in decreases to our expenditures. Despite these reductions, our District remains committed to providing the best education for students in the municipality of Anchorage.
This year, a more collaborative approach was taken to address the revenue deficit. This approach involving teams of employees not only provided a budget that continues to meet the needs of students but it also bridges the values and vision of our community. Visible in this budget, is a new way of providing curriculum and time for teachers to work together to better support student needs.
Improving the outcomes of students is our primary purpose in public education. Meeting success for ALL is our mission. In the Anchorage School District, all means ALL. The present budget continues to address the needs of advanced learners as well as learners needing additional support. Likewise, it supports career goals of college-bound students as well as students entering careers immediately after graduation.
It is a pleasure serving the community as an educator and educational leader. The work of our schools in preparing students for success is the future of Alaska. And, the future for our students is not out there somewhere—it’s here—in the present, in ASD!
Dr. Deena Bishop,
FY 2020-21 Budget Documents
Review school board and assembly approval memos as they become available.
- FY 2020-21 Proposed Budget (03/02/2020)
- FY 2020-21 Preliminary Financial Plan as Amended (03/02/2020)
- Assembly Ordinance 2020-18
- Assembly Memorandum 93-2020
- FY 2020-21 School Board Request for Information and Amendments (02/18/2020)
- FY 2020-21 Preliminary Budget – School Board Q&A (02/17/2020)
- FY 2020-21 Pro Forma Financial Planning Outlook and Budget Development Guidance
- FY 2020-21 Preliminary Budget
- FY 2020-21 Preliminary Budget Pamphlet
- FY 2020-21 6-year Outlook (11/25/2019)
In the News
- Feb 19: ADN - "School board restores funding for gifted program and security guards" by Matt Tunseth
- Feb 18: KTUU - "IGNITE funding restored, School Board passes 2020-21 budget" by Matt Leseman
- Feb 11: ADN - "Dunleavy administration continues legal battle against Alaska Legislature but releases $30 million for public schools" by James Brooks
- Feb 06: ADN - "Anchorage School District proposes budget cuts to health and gifted education programs" by Matt Tunseth
- Feb 04: KTBY - "ASD Proposes Widespread Reductions in 2020-21 Budget" by Nicole O'Hara
- Feb 04: KTUU - "Proposed ASD budget brings tough choices" by Matt Leseman
- Feb 04: KTVA - "ASD plans widespread reductions, mergers to close $20 million budget gap" by Scott Gross