Problem solving options

Do you need help working through a concern about district procedures or with personnel? The best place to start is with the person or persons closest to the problem, if at all possible. When the concern or problem arises at a school, your principal should be your next point of contact to seek a solution. However, if a solution can't be worked out at the school, you have other options:


Education divisions

Elementary Education

Glen Nielsen, Senior Director

Secondary Education

Kersten Johnson-Struempler, Senior Director




Special Education

Elementary and Early Childhood
Special Education

Lori Rucksdashel, Director

Secondary Special Education

Jason Hlasny, Director

Senior Director of Special Education

Cindy Anderson



Other district offices

Equal Employment Opportunity Office

Matthew Teaford, 907-742-4130

English Language Learners

Phil Farson, 907-742-4452

Title VI Indian Education

Doreen Brown, 907-742-4445

Senior Director, Instructional Support


Transportation Services

Chuck Moore

Senior director





Advisory committees

Multicultural Education Concerns
Advisory Committee


Controversial Issues Committee


Native Advisory Committee

Doreen Brown, Senior Director, Instructional Support, Title VI
Indian Education, 907-742-4445


Hazardous Tranportation Committee

Chuck Moore

Senior director





ASD Citizen Complaint Process

Citizen Complaint form

You  may use this process to address complaints against any ASD employee, policy, practice or procedure, including rights protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972.


If your complaint concerns instructional materials, please don't use the Citizen Complaint form. For complaints about instructional materials, use the Request form for Additions to or Re-evaluation of Instructional Materials form.


The Citizen Complaint form may be filled out by hand or on the computer, but should then be printed out and mailed to the superintendent's office at:


ASD Education Center


5530 E Northern Lights Blvd.

Anchorage, AK 99504-3135



Resources outside ASD

Municipal Ombudsman

907-343-4461 or

Authorized to investigate complaints
about ASD; your name may be kept confidential.

Disability Law Center

907-565-1002 or

For special education or 504 issues

Military Education Liaison


For students attending schools on JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf/Richardson)




    Anchorage School District website accessibility and nondiscrimination notice. The Anchorage School District is an equal opportunity provider.