Let me introduce myself, I am Kim Boyd, RN, school nurse. I have been taking care of Wendler students’ health since 2011. Before that I wore a few different nurse caps: pediatric office nurse, pediatric hospital and NICU nurse, and research nurse, to name a few--all in all over 21 years of taking care of kids and families.
Do you ever wonder what the school nurse at Wendler Middle School does? Here are a few of the things that keep me busy:
I intervene with actual and potential health problems
- provide direct care for illness and injury, including emergencies
- manage and administer medications, including emergency medications
- make sure students are fully immunized
- screen students for height, weight, vision, hearing, and TB if needed
- prevent and manage communicable diseases
I address individual student needs
- care for students with chronic conditions and medically complex students
- implement health-related student goals and services
- develop emergency plans and individualized health care plans for students with chronic conditions and complex medical situations
I promote health and safety
- Collaborate with administrators, teachers, staff and parents to ensure a healthy school environment
- Educate students about health related topics and healthy lifestyles
- Communicate with parents and serve as a liaison between school, family, health care professionals, and the community
I am one part of a great team, working hard to keep students physically and mentally healthy, in the classroom, ready to learn and grow.
If you have any health-related concerns or questions, feel free to contact me.
Kim Boyd RN BSN
Wendler School Nurse
Phone 907 742-7322
Fax 907 742-7450