The countdown to the end of quarter three is upon us. Only five more days of Zoom lessons! I urge all parents and students to continue to work with teachers to finish the quarter strongly. Working together we will Inspire Students, Excel Academically and Strengthen Community.
A reminder that February 26 is designated as an asynchronous learning day. Students, this is not a day off from school. Students will have independent learning but will not have synchronous Zoom classes. Also, March 5th is a grading day for teachers and there will be no school for students.
We are excited to announce quarter three spirit week! See details below and get ready to show your Mustang pride!!
The newsletter contains a great deal of information designed to help keep our students and parents informed. Please feel free to contact the school if you have questions.
Megan J. Hatswell
Principal-Chugiak High School
The Mission of Chugiak High School:
Inspire Students. Excel Academically. Strengthen Community.
Student Tutoring Sessions
Don't forget about Wednesday tutoring! There is an 8:30-10:30 am session and 11:00-1:00 pm session. First come, first serve and ANYONE can sign up!
Sign up by clicking HERE or on the Wednesday Tutoring Session link in your Classes' Canvas Course Navigational Toolbar! Let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to seeing you on Wednesday. All students attending tutoring will need to wear proper PPE and follow all safety guidelines in our School Safety Plan.
Spirit Week Information
3rd Quarter Spirit Week is happening March 1st-5th, just in time to launch you into Spring Break! Help show your school spirit by uploading your photos/videos to your Class' Spirit Hub! Remember, each day a winner is picked from each class, and overall participation goes to claiming a Virtual WACKO win! Here's this quarter's spirit days:
- Monday (3/1): Pet Day- Take a picture of yourself with your pet! Don't have a pet? That's okay, get creative! I hear rocks make the best pets!
- Tuesday (3/2): TikTok Tuesday- Let's be honest, quarantine has probably gotcha up til' absurd wee hours of the mornin' watchin' TikTok videos of who knows what. Now's your chance to create your own and add to the chaos of randomness! Make a fun Tiktok that shows off your Mustang Spirit!
- Wednesday (3/3): Color Mash Wednesday- Dress and/or coat yourself in as many colors as you possibly can! Don't worry! Nothing has to match!
- Thursday (3/4): Throwback Thursday- Without being in school, its been hard to know what everyone has been up to! Share your favorite memory from the past year!
- Friday (3/5): Spring Break Friday- You've made it to the end of the 3rd quarter! Congrats! 1 more quarter to go! Take a picture of how you're starting your 1st day of Spring Break!
If you have any specific questions please reach out to your Class' Sponsors (in Spirit Hub) or email Sully directly at email@example.com.
BioTaPP Video for upcoming Juniors and Seniors.
This is an amazing opportunity to meet Ms. Alex and learn more about the class. Check out her video here.
Senior Graduation Information
Apart from a set date, the district hasn’t released any new information about graduation. Yet as we prepare, CHS is asking you to please take a minute to fill out the Senior 2021 Graduation Diploma Information Google Form. We ask that you complete this by March 4th and will update when we can as new information rolls out. Thank you! If you are an early graduate you may not be able to access this form. Ms. Sullivan will reach out to you directly. J
Chugiak High Scholarship Information can be found here. This is an extensive list of opportunities for our students making plans for after graduation.
A new Class of 2022 Scholarship opportunity can be found here
World Discovery Seminar
World Discovery Seminar at CHS is a lottery-based school-within a school that infuses Socratic Seminar discussion methods into 9th-12th grade English & Social Studies classes, in addition to our 9th grade Biology class. Instead of textbooks, we focus on coaching and discussing literature, historical primary sources, and scientific studies, with a spotlight on creative project-based learning and service-oriented projects and events. This year's lottery deadline is March 18th at 5:00pm so apply today!
10th & 11th Graders College Admissions Checklist
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 6:00 PM Alaska time
As a 10th or 11th grader, what should you be doing this spring to set yourself up for college admissions success? During our live webinar, Chugiak HS counselors and Kimberly Hewitt, director of Frontier Tutoring's college counseling practice, will walk through the following spring semester priorities for sophomores and juniors:
- Craft your SAT/ACT testing strategy to maximize your competitiveness (and for sophomores, determine whether you should prepare this summer for the PSAT to potentially qualify for National Merit recognition and scholarships)
- Develop your college list, which drives all of your academic, testing, and application priorities
- Maximize your GPA and manage virtual school
- Manage extracurriculars in the COVID-19 era
- For juniors, begin planning college applications and essays
- Learn about the latest COVID-19 updates to testing and admissions policies
At the end of the webinar, we'll have time for Q&A about all things academics, testing, and college admissions. Representatives from the Chugiak High School counseling department will also be available to answer any Chugiak-specific questions.
As we enter the tail end of some of our sports, we want to congratulate all the athletes for a great season. We know it has not been easy with the COVID mitigations guidelines and want to thank each and every athlete for your continued support in keeping all our athletes safe.
This week starts we have our Cross-Country Skiing State event happening in the Matsu. Good luck to our athletes!
Basketball games have been scheduled into the NFHS system for all levels, however, there have been some issues with the scores, broadcasting, etc, and we want you to know that we have put in help tickets to get things fixed. Games will continue to be broadcasting through the NFHS Network. We will continue to advocate for spectators at games. We miss our fans!
Future Sports Dates: (subject to change)
Hockey and Hockey Cheer- March 15
Wrestling- March 15
Track and Field- March 22
Soccer- March 22
Baseball/Softball- March 22