Answers to frequently asked questions about FMLA
- When should an employee complete the Family Medical Leave form?
- Any time an employee is out for more than three days due to their own serious illness or for a family member’s serious illness. If an employee knows that they will be going on leave for a foreseen situation as surgery or maternity, FMLA paperwork should be completed 30 days in advance.
- What does FMLA do?
- FMLA secures a qualified employee’s benefits and position for 18 weeks (90 workday) period.
- How is FMLA counted?
- CFMLA is counted from the first day an employee is out on leave counting scheduled workdays. FMLA is counted concurrently with any leave the employee may be using to keep them in paid status. For example, if an employee is using accrued sick leave while on Family Medical Leave; both FMLA and sick leave will run concurrently.
- Where should the completed FMLA forms be sent?
- Completed FMLA forms should be sent to the leave specialist in the HR Compliance/EEO Office. The forms can be hand delivered or mailed to:
ASD Education Center
5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd.
Anchorage, AK 99504-3135
Or they can be faxed to 907-742-4226; if faxed, originals should be sent via mail.
- When is an employee’s FMLA request approved?
- FMLA approval is granted once the supervisor has signed the FMLA form and the leave specialist has verified eligibility.
- What is the notification process for when a FMLA request is approved?
- A copy of the approved FMLA form is mailed to the employee’s home address. Use the Change in Personnel Record form to ensure Human Resources has current information.
- I have an employee who was injured on the job and will be out for more than three days. What forms should s/he complete?
- I have an employee who is out due to their own serious illness and will be out for more than three days. What forms should s/he complete?
- I have an employee who will be out for more than three days to care for an immediate family member with a serious illness. Which forms should s/he complete?
EEO FAQs | ADA FAQs | Classified Employee FAQs | Certificated Employee FAQs | Benefits FAQs