Project Connect- DODEA Grant
The Anchorage School District recently received a Department of Defense Education Activity (DODEA) invitational grant for the continuation of Project Connect, a multi-faceted initiative that addresses the academic and social and emotional needs of students from active military families and that directs resources to secondary schools with high concentrations of these students. The purpose of DODEA’s invitational grant program is to develop and sustain programs that meet the needs of military impacted students. This invitational competition targets communities with substantial military installations and relatively high numbers of deployments.
Although Project Connect is designed for and focuses on military students, all students in the schools benefit. The project operates through ASD’s Professional Learning Department, which includes social and emotional learning (SEL), and ASD’s Health and P.E. Department. Elements of this grant include:
- a full-time counselor dedicated solely to military students for each of the high schools served.
- employment of research-based experiential education.
- afterschool Adventure Leadership Clubs
- multiple-element, permanently installed challenge courses at Bartlett High School and Eagle River High School.
- intentional, comprehensive parent outreach effort
For even more detailed information please download these documents: