Anchorage School Board
Testify at a meeting
Maximizing public participation
The school board encourages public participation and testimony in conducting its business. Individuals or groups may attend and testify at school board meetings. Testimony in-person and telephonically will be accepted at the beginning of the early session and both the beginning and end of the late session.
Sign-up procedures are posted on the ASD website each time the agenda is posted, and in any advertisement relating to a school board meeting.
Please advise the school board secretary if any accommodations are needed.
Meeting sign-up procedures for in-person testimony
Persons may notify the superintendent’s office to sign-up to testify to the school board up to one hour prior to the start of either the early or late session of the regular meeting. Contact may be made in one of the following ways:
In person: 5530 E Northern Lights Blvd., Anchorage
Mail (letter must be received by the date of the meeting):
Anchorage School District
If the person has not called in, or otherwise provided notification 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting, they may sign-up with the school board secretary in the boardroom until the president has called the meeting to order. Persons wishing to testify should give the secretary their name, telephone number, and topic of their testimony. Persons may not sign-up other persons to testify.
A sign will be posted in a prominent place in the boardroom advising the public of their right to sign-up prior to the beginning of the meeting; this sign will also have a copy of the agenda and a list of those who have previously signed up (without telephone numbers) to testify.
Persons who wish to sign-up after the president has called the meeting to order will be advised by the president if they will be allowed to testify.
Meeting sign-up procedures for telephonic testimony
Early sign-up is required in order to accommodate telephonic testimony. Persons may sign-up to testify telephonically at regular school board meetings by notifying the superintendent’s office by 5 p.m. on the Friday preceding the meeting. Contact may be made in the same manner identified above except that mail must be received by the Friday before the meeting.
Persons wishing to testify should give the secretary their name, telephone number, and topic on which they will testify. Persons may not sign-up other persons to testify.
How telephonic testimony occurs
- The school board secretary will call the person on the number provided. Once the connection is made, testimony will occur through a speaker device that permits the school board and those in attendance to hear the testimony.
- Persons testifying will be connected immediately preceding the testimony and the call will be terminated at the end of each person’s allotted time. Individuals are encouraged to watch the regular board meeting live on ASD-TV or cable channel 14 prior to their testimony.
- No more than two attempts will be made to reach the speaker at the number provided. One attempt will be made to contact a speaker if the call is dropped during the speaker’s testimony.
- It is the responsibility of the person testifying to ensure that the testimony can be heard and is free of background noise and distraction. If testimony is inaudible or contains distracting noise, music, or voices, the call will be terminated.
- The school board does not hear complaints against students or personnel in public session.
- The board secretary maintains a list of persons wishing to speak to the board. The list is distributed to the board, the superintendent, administrative staff, and any media (without telephone numbers), just prior to the regular meeting, or at the meeting itself. Persons are added to the list in the order they call-in, or sign-up at the board meeting.
- Individual speakers are limited to three minutes per person as time allows; if there are a large number of speakers, time may be reduced at the discretion of the board.
- The board secretary files a list with all names of persons speaking to the board as part of the official record of the meeting.
For sign language interpreter services, contact the person below at least 48 hours prior to the meeting:
ASD Education Center
5530 E Northern Lights Blvd.
Anchorage, AK 99504-3135
Board members do not restrict their duties to meeting hours. Each member welcomes the opportunity to listen to your ideas, concerns and hopes for the district.
Acronyms & Terms
Confused about acronyms or terms used in the Anchorage School District? Download our Acronyms & Terms Dictionary, or browse the dictionary on our Parents page.