- Aurora Elementary
- Aurora Elementary Homepage
Anchorage School Board Vacancy
Anchorage School Board Seat A Appointment
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Anchorage School Board. In order to apply for the vacant Seat A, please fill out and submit the application (linked below) no later than 5 p.m. Wednesday, October 10, 2018 to School Board Secretary Katy Grant either via email at email@example.com, mail or hand deliver to the ASD Education Center, attn: Katy Grant, 5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd.
Once certified by the Municipality, qualified applicants will be asked to answer the following questions and attend a meeting on October 20 at 10:00 a.m. for the interview and appointment process. Depending on the number of applicants, the October 20 meeting could run into the late afternoon.
- Why are you applying for this seat?
- What time commitment are you able and willing to invest in your job as a board member?
- Do you plan to continue your school board service by seeking election next year?
- How often have you watched or attended school board meetings, and what have you done to prepare to serve on the board?
- What do you envision as ideal board service?
- What skills, qualities or experiences do you have that will add value to the board and the district?
- What is your general perception of ASD? Give examples of what you think the district does well, and what it could improve.
- Why do you think some students do well in school and others struggle, and how should the School Board address that disparity?
- What do you know about ASD choice or alternative schools and programs? Elaborate on the possibility of expanding these programs.
- What is your view of public education?
- When you were part of a group, team or board in which you had trouble reaching consensus, how did you resolve it?
- Give an example of a situation in which you showed leadership.
- Given the district’s considerable funding constraints, what can the board and administration do to ensure a strong school system in our community?
- What would you like to accomplish as a member of the board, and what would you want to be remembered for at the end of your board service?
The following documents may be of interest to those wishing to serve on the Board.
So you want to serve on the Anchorage School Board - A primer for those who’ve never served on the Board nor run for public office