- King Tech High School
- Updates from King Tech
Updates from the Principal
King Tech Letter from the Principal 2022
September 06, 2022
Greetings King Tech Students and Families,
We are looking forward to a great year of learning at King Tech. At King Tech, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to offer an education that is innovative, engaging, and focused on careers and college opportunities. We are excited to welcome back the class of 2023 and the new class of 2024. We have several new staff members joining us this year.
Please welcome the following new staff members:
- Kathy Brown, School Nurse. Kathy is joining us from Central Middle School.
- Benjamin Robinson, Carpentry Teacher. Benjamin is journeyman carpenter joining us from many years in the construction industry..
- Kristina Gwynn-Dobler, English Teacher. Kristina is joining us from PADIEA.
- Welding: The new HVAC system is almost fully installed. We are waiting on one part that has been delayed due to supply chain shortages. The shop will be closed for this semester. We are partnering with UAA’s Community and Technical College (CTC). The CTC has generously offered KTHS the use of the Aviation welding shop at Merrill Field. Unfortunately, the CTC welding shop is smaller and can only support 12 students at a time.
- Career and College Center: Will continue the focused effort on career and college planning support services for full-time King Tech students. All our full-time students will graduate King Tech High with a post-secondary plan in place. Mr. Sean Schubert will be providing the support service throughout the year. He will individually meet with seniors over the course of the first semester to build and work toward finalizing career and college plans. Mr. Schubert will engage in the same process with juniors second semester.
Our staff prides itself in developing innovative programs that engage our students
’ and inspire interest in a career. We are deeply invested in creating positive relationships with all our students. Teachers, counselors, support staff, and administrators are all committed to helping students develop a career pathway plan.
Academic Delivery Model: To meet graduation requirements, KTHS utilizes a variety of instructional delivery methods.
We believe a high-quality education is built on a strong curriculum, positive student-teacher relationships, and engaging delivery of instruction. Our academic delivery model is designed to meet graduation requirements and to prepare students for post-secondary opportunities. We offer a balanced blend of face-to-face instruction, online learning, and structured support. The talented team delivering our academic model consists of Creed Campbell (Social Studies & Academic Team Department Chair), Ben Chizmar (Math), Jennifer Edwards-Fahl (Cyber Center Coordinator), and Kristina Gwynn-Dobler (Language Arts).
Each week, students will attend 4 scheduled classes with each class meeting twice a week on a rotating basis. For example, a student may attend U.S. History and Geometry (Math) each Monday and Wednesday, the English and Online Learning on Tuesday and Thursday. Each Friday, students will alternate between their academic classes for additional instruction and enrichment.
What do we mean by blended learning?
- A style of education in which students learn via electronic and online media as well as a traditional face-to-face teaching.
- Students attend KTHS 5 days a week.
What does this look like at King Tech?
- Students learn face to face twice weekly with an instructor who delivers lessons.
- The other days of the week are for independent completion of the coursework with teacher support in our cyber center.
- The instructors offer additional small group and individual lessons and support as needed on Fridays through office hours. These offerings are either initiated by the instructor or the student.
What other academic instructional formats are offered?
- In addition to blended learning, some courses may be delivered in a virtual format.
- ASD Virtual classes are self-directed online courses that do not have a Zoom meeting requirement.
- ASD Virtual courses are generally science courses, physical education courses, and credit recovery courses. In addition, other courses may be offered depending on student need, interest, and by request.
- The ASD Virtual instructors offer additional small group and individual lessons and support as needed throughout the week. These offerings are either initiated by the instructor or the student.
- We do offer a fully virtual academic program, through ASD Virtual for students who have demonstrated success with online learning. This option allows for students to access academics online from home or within our cyber center.
- Students are required to attend King Tech daily for their CTE class.
What is the King Tech Cyber Center?
- The cyber center is a learning space where students complete work independently; and as needed are provided support from a certified teacher.
- The support role of the certified teacher is one or more of the following: progress monitoring, organizational skills support, tutoring, encouraging, and coaching peer-to-peer support.
- The cyber center's mission is to create a student center environment that fosters independent learning.
Please review the full-time student academic class schedule attached.
Once again, welcome to King Tech! We are ready to help you with your career pathway journey. Whatever your future, let us help you connect to your dream. You are part of a unique school that has the power to transform the way you think about education and most importantly who you will become as a successful career professional.
Dr. Kern McGinley, Principal
King Tech High School
- Professional Dress Wednesday begins on September 07, 2022
- King Tech Open House, September 13 (6:00 – 7:00 PM)
Counseling: If you have any questions related to student schedules please contact our full-time student counselor, Paige Petr (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Special Education: If you have any special education related questions, please contact our special education department chair, Laura Kimmel (email@example.com).
Lunch Service: King Tech does not qualify for the National School Lunch program because our Culinary Arts and the Enterprise program produce food during the school day. We do offer a lunch snack pack for students who do qualify for free and reduced lunch. Please contact the main office for more details.