- Birchwood ABC Elementary
- Student Handbook
Rules and Responsibilities
- Agree with the philosophy and goals of the ABC Program.
- Maintain the philosophy of Birchwood ABC School.
- Participate in the selection of staff.
- Implement and encourage an instructional program as stated in the Birchwood Charter.
- Enforce and support a school-wide discipline program.
- Attempt to solve school-related problems or conflicts of students, staff, parents and community.
- Develop and maintain a plan to provide for the safety and welfare of both students and faculty.
- Develop and maintain communication and rapport with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Understand and accept all students, staff and parents.
- Ensure that the rights of students are protected.
- Ensure that parents are notified of their student's progress and any significant changes in their achievement and/or behavior.
- Establish and maintain a positive school climate that provides frequent, realistic opportunities for students, staff and parents to participate in the identification and resolution of school-related concerns.
- Adhere to the procedures set forth in Anchorage School District policies and Birchwood ABC Charter.
- Understand and be in agreement with the ABC Charter and philosophy.
- Maintain and encourage the philosophy of the ABC program.
- Implement an instructional program according to the ABC Curriculum.
- Implement a discipline policy and communicate this policy to parents and students.
- Maintain communication with principal, staff, students and parents.
- Understand and accept all students.
- Notify parents of student’s progress and if necessary any significant changes in behavior.
- Provide a positive classroom climate that provides challenging but realistic opportunities for student growth.
- Adhere to the procedures set forth in the Anchorage School District Handbook.
- Establish and maintain, in the home, a positive attitude toward education.
- Show an active interest in the child's schoolwork and progress through regular communication with the school.
- Assist your child to be neat, clean and well groomed.
- Ensure the child's regular daily attendance and promptness.
- Keep the child out of school when he or she is ill.
- Provide a note explaining the absence of your child upon his/her return to school.
- Cooperate with school personnel when the child is involved in a disciplinary matter.
- Cooperate with school personnel in the maintenance of the child's physical and emotional health.
- Understand the procedures set forth in District policies.
- Negotiate a conference time with teachers a minimum of two times per school year.
- Become familiar with the Code of Conduct, the school rules and classroom rules.
- Respond to a teacher's initial contact.
- Provide correct working telephone numbers and addresses at all times.
- Be prompt to all classes.
- Be prepared for class with assigned work and appropriate materials.
- Be accountable for his/her own work.
- Be neat, clean and well groomed.
- Behave in a safe and responsible manner.
- Show respect for all individuals and property.
- Students have the responsibility to strive for academic growth by participating to their utmost ability.
- Seek help from school personnel when having school or personal problems.
- Follow the rules and regulations established by the school and classroom teacher.