Attendance and Absences Information
ASD's goal is for every student to attend school at least 90 percent of the time. The school board defines what constitutes an excused absence from school as:
- Death or serious illness in the immediate family
- Participating in a school function
- Attendance at a religious service, or
- Extenuating circumstances approved by the principal
An absence may be coded unexcused if the student demonstrates or is at risk of chronic absenteeism or is below academic proficiency. Chronic absence is missing 10 percent or more of school for any reason.
PLEASE READ-IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
Attendance is collected twice daily and the following information explains how it will be coded in our attendance system.
Morning session (9:00-12:15)
The student is considered:
TARDY for the AM session if they arrive between 9:00 - 10:00 am
ABSENT (0.5 day) if they arrive after 10:00 AM or the student misses more than 60 minutes during the AM session for appointments
Afternoon Session (12:15-3:00)
The student is considered:
TARDY for the PM session if they arrive/return between 12:15 and 1:15 PM.
ABSENT (0.5 day) if they arrive/return after 1:15 PM or the student misses more than 60 minutes during the PM session for appointments, etc.
Parents are asked to email email@example.com one week in advance of taking their child out of school for a pre-planned absence.
For additional information about ASD’s attendance policy, please visit ASD’s website.
There are 3 options for reporting an absence:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org when a student will not be attending school or will be arriving late.
- Log on to Q Parent Connect and report your students' absence online.If your call/email is not received by 10 am you may receive a call and/or email via A.S.D.’s automated absence system. Please know that we do the best we can to input all notices in a timely manner, but sometimes, due to unforeseen circumstances, this may not be the case.
- Call the attendance line at (907)243-2161 (press#1)to leave a message with students' name, teacher, and reason for absence
- If you need to pick your child up before 3:30 p.m., you can email your student's teacher and office staff email@example.com with the approximate time your child will be leaving.
When you arrive at the school please come to the front door and press the buzzer to reach the front office. You will be asked for your students name and teacher as well as your name.
Office staff will confirm you are on the authorized pick-up list, then call your student down to meet you outside the front doors.
For safety reasons, we do not send students outside to the curb or parking lot.
Students are not released over the phone.
You must ring the call button by the front door before a student is called from class to meet you.