ARTICLE IX - Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics - Article IX - STrEaM APC By-Laws
The ASA Academic Policy Committee endorses the following code of ethics for all APC members:
As a member of the Anchorage STrEaM Academy Academic Policy Committee, I will strive to improve our charter school education, and to that end I will:
- attend all regularly scheduled board meetings insofar as possible, and become informed concerning the issues to be considered at those meetings;
- recognize that I should endeavor to make policy decisions only after full discussion at publicly held board meetings;
- render all decisions based on the available facts and my independent judgment, and refuse to surrender that judgement to individuals or special interest groups;
- encourage the free expression of opinion by all board members, and seek systematic communications between the board and students, staff, and all elements of the community;
- work with other board members to establish effective board policies and to delegate authority for the administration of the school to the principal;
- communicate to other board members and the principal the expression of public reaction to board policies and school programs;
- inform myself about current educational issues by individual study and through participation in programs providing needed information, such as those sponsored by my state and national school boards association;
- support the employment of those persons best qualified to serve as school staff, and insist on a regular and impartial evaluation of the school principal;
- avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest;
- take no private action that will compromise the board or administration, and respect the confidentiality of information that is privileged under applicable law;
- and remember always that my first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of the students attending ASA.
Violation of this code may result in removal from the APC by an establish quorum at a meeting and/or legal action to the fullest extent of the law.
All members of the APC will sign this code of ethics annually at the November meeting after the installation of new members.