January - June 2021 Books That We Recommend
- The Truth Project by Dante Medema
ASA has chosen a fictional "novel-in-verse / text / email" YA fiction for grades 8-12 written by a local author for our first book study of 2021. The date of first publication was October 13, 2020. It is available locally at The Writer's Block in Spenard.
Instagram @dantemedemabooks Twitter @DanteMedema
- Parenting in the Screen Age, A Guide for Calm Conversations by Delaney Ruston, MD
Does every conversation with your child or teen about screen time blow up into a fight? Or maybe you avoid bringing up the topic but silently harbor worry and frustration. How can you better understand what you’re up against — and most importantly, ensure the healthiest screen time possible? In Parenting in the Screen Age, award-winning filmmaker, and mental health advocate Dr. Delaney Ruston distills more than a decade of communications research into a definitive guide for today’s parents. Packed with evidence-based insights on screen time from researchers, input from kids and teens, and solutions drawn from Dr. Ruston’s own messy parenting struggles, this guide shows you how to start — and sustain — productive family talks about technology.
June - December 2020 Books That We Recommend
- Passion for Kindness by Tamara Letter
- Dare to Inspire by Allison Holzer, Sandra Spataro, & Jen Grace Baron
- Why are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations about Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Daily STEM How to Create a STEM Culture in your Classrooms & Community by Chris Woods