Educating students for success in life
The Anchorage School District...
Crossroads of the world
The district serves the southcentral Alaska communities of Anchorage, Eagle River, Chugiak and Girdwood.
Distance by air from Anchorage to:
Seattle - 1,500 miles
New York City - 3,300 miles
London - 4,500 miles
Beijing - 4,000 miles
Awards and honors
- More than $35 million in scholarships awarded to Class of 2012 ASD graduates
- 13 National Merit Scholars from the Class of 2012 (Story »)
- Student Tavish Logan earns degree of Premier Distinction from the National Forensic League (Story »)
- Joanna Hubbard, 2012 recipient of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (Story »)
- 2012 recipient of the Outstanding Partnership Award from the Military Child Education Coalition (Story »)
A diverse student population provides students the ability to interact with peers from many different backgrounds, expanding their knowledge of other cultures and preparing for life in a global society.
Race and ethnicity at ASD
Minority students comprise more than 50 percent of the student population (48,840 students).
Non-English languages spoken
Students in the ASD English Language Learners Program speak 91 different languages at home. After English, the five most common are Spanish, Hmong, Samoan, Filipino and Yup'ik.
Destination 2020 is the district’s comprehensive, multi-year plan to increase student achievement. The plan focuses on improving the performance of every child to ensure at least one year’s academic growth each year. Destination 2020 is built on the district's mission, vision and core values as outlined by the school board.
Anchorage School Board vision
Expect the Best is the district's comprehensive annual report to the community.
The Profile of Performance is the ASD report to the Anchorage School Board and community on the district's progress toward meeting the board goals.
The Demographics-GIS Services section contains enrollment numbers, race and ethnicity reports, capital improvement plans and school boundary information.