About ASD

Educating students for success in life

The Anchorage School District...

 

District snapshot

 

Crossroads of the world

Anchorage map

Google Map

The district serves the southcentral Alaska communities of Anchorage, Eagle River, Chugiak and Girdwood.

 

Distance by air from Anchorage to:

Seattle - 1,500 miles

New York City - 3,300 miles

10 px wide spacer 

London - 4,500 miles

Beijing - 4,000 miles

 

Awards and honors

  • TrophyTeacher Jenna White received the national 2014 Milken Educator Award. Story »
  • Student Taylor Seitz won 3rd place in the 2014 International Science and Engineering Fair in the Engineering: Materials and Bioengineering category. Story »
  • DoDEA Educational Partnership Awards grant to the Anchorage School District for the 2014-15 school year. Story »
  • Aurora, Bayshore, Chugiak and Ravenwood elementary schools recognized as Alaska Reward Schools for the 2014-15 school year. Story »
  • Teacher Debbie LaRue won the Behring Teacher Award and student Brynn Boeckmann won the Outstanding State Award in the 2014 National History Day Contest. Story »
  • Cessilye Williams was selected as the 2015 Alaska Secondary School Principal of the Year by the Alaska Association of Secondary School Principals. Story »
  • John Bruce was named Alaska Teacher of the Year 2015 by the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development. Story »

Student diversity

A diverse student population provides students the ability to interact with peers from many different backgrounds, expanding their knowledge of other cultures and preparing for life in a global society. Studies by UAA sociology professor Chad Farrel show that Anchorage has the most diverse schools in the U.S. at all levels.

 

Race and ethnicity at ASD

Minority students comprise more than 50 percent of the student population (48,213 students).

 

 

Non-English languages spoken

Most ASD families — 80 percent — speak English at home. The remaining 20 percent speak 99 languages. As of October 2014, there were 5,745 students eligible for English Language Learner services. The most frequent languages spoken by those students were:

Top 5 languages spoken at ASD after English K-12 2014



Graduates in the spotlight

ASD students go on to achieve great things. Hover over the names below to learn more about some well-known graduates and former students.

  • Kikkan Randall is an Olympic skier and World Ski Championship gold medalist.

  • Former student William Oefelein is an astronaut and space shuttle pilot.

  • Irene Bedard stars in Smoke Signals and as the voice of Disney's Pocahontas.

  • Preston Pollard is a motivational speaker and professional skateboarder.

  • Former student Brian Schmidt is an astrophysicist and Nobel Laureate.

  • Scott Gomez is an NHL Stanley Cup winner and Rookie of the Year.

  • Former student Shintaro Okamoto is a master ice artist in New York City.

  • Trajan Langdon is a former professional basketball player.



1. Enrollments reflect fall 2011 memberships reported to the National Center for Education Statistics on the Common Core of Data (CCD) agency universe file—”Local Education Agency (School District) Universe Survey: School Year 2011–12, Provisional Version

Destination 2020

Destination 2020‌‌

Destination 2020 is the district’s comprehensive, multi-year plan to increase student achievement. The plan focuses on improving the performance of every child to ensure at least one year’s academic growth each year. Destination 2020 is built on the district's mission, vision and core values as outlined by the school board.

 

About Destination 2020

 

Annual reports

Expect the Best 2014Cover thumbnail

Expect the Best is the district's comprehensive annual report to the community.

Expect the Best »

 

 

Profile of Performance report cover thumbnail 2010-11

The Profile of Performance is the ASD report to the Anchorage School Board and community on the district's progress toward meeting the board goals.

 Profile of Performance 2013-14

 

Demographics

The Demographics-GIS Services section contains enrollment numbers, race and ethnicity reports, capital improvement plans and school boundary information.

Demographics-GIS Services »