History of Steller
The Anchorage School District established Steller in 1974 in response to a proposal from the Committee of Alternative Secondary Education (C.A.S.E.) This group consisted mainly of parents of Chugach Optional Elementary School students who were interested in having their child’s education continue in an open, alternative setting.
The school was named after George Wilhelm Steller, a German naturalist who traveled with Vitus Bering on his voyage of exploration to Alaska, in 1741. He became the school’s namesake because of such personal traits as independence, love of knowledge, courage, and a pioneering spirit.
Steller was located in the old North Star Elementary building for nine years. In the early 1980’s, due to the political activity of Steller parents, the Alaska Legislature approved the funds for the total remodeling of the building and a new gym/drama facility. In 1992, our auditorium was redesigned and rebuilt after a structural failure.
Steller currently provides a quality self-directed learning environment for students in grades seven through twelve.