Safe Children's Act
Hanshew Middle School
10121 Lake Otis Pkwy
Anchorage, Alaska 99507
Hanshew Middle Scholl will be teaching the Alaska Safe Children’s Act/Personal Safety lessons between November 15, 2022, and December 13, 2022, during the Advisory period. Our teachers will present an age-appropriate lesson about personal body safety in a non-threatening way, along with the skills needed for self-protection. The focus of the lesson will be to empower students with the information and skills to protect themselves and seek help from physical, psychological, and emotional harm that can occur from abusive situations and is part of the Anchorage School District’s plan to enact the Alaska Safe Children’s Act and will be handlined in a sensitive, respective manner.
ASD Prevention Tools
- Climate – Creating a safe and respectful learning environment, which is well managed, supportive, and engaging with active participation.
- Direct Instruction – Using a variety of evidence-based curricula and programs to deliberately teach about risk factors and healthy relationship skills.
- Infusion – Integrating social and emotional learning skills throughout the day and in all curriculum areas through modeling of instructional practices that promote SEL skill practice and maximize learning.
- At home and community supports – Developing awareness about available supports and resources outside of the school day.
The Alaska Department of Education and Early Development developed curriculum is comprised of three separate age and developmentally appropriate bands for grades 7/8, 9/10 and 11/12. Each grade band contains 5 modules and is designed to help prevent childhood sexual abuse and teen dating abuse.
The five modules for each grade are organized around the following topics:
- Module 1: Defining Healthy Relationships
- Module 2: Building Healthy Relationships
- Module 3: Defining Unhealthy Relationships
- Module 4: Warning Signs
- Module 5: Help and Support
Module information and scripts can be viewed here:
If you have any questions about the content of the program or if you wish to inquire about opting out, please contact Kelly Byers, Assistant Principal, or the school office.
Thank you for partnering with us as we continue to provide learning opportunities to improve the safety and well-being of our students.
Hanshew Middle School Principal