Safe Children's Act
September 11, 2018
Hanshew Middle School
10121 Lake Otis Pkwy
Anchorage, Alaska 99507
Hanshew Middle School will be teaching the 2nd Quarter Personal Safety lessons on December 4, 2018 during the Advisory period. The age-appropriate lessons will be presented in a non-threatening way, along with the skills needed for self-protection. The lesson content is part of the Anchorage School District’s plan to enact the Alaska Safe Children’s Act and will be handled in a sensitive, respectful manner.
2nd Quarter Lessons
Lesson 2: Fitting In & Acceptance
- Understand the concept of safe vs. unsafe relationships
- Gain knowledge about the balance of power in relationships
- Understand the connections between the desire for acceptance and the balance of power
- Be able to use the Think, Feel, Act (TFA) rule to identify the red lags of potentially dangerous situations
- Gain awareness about strategies that can be used to maintain healthy relationships
Lesson 5: Isolation: Staying Safe in the Virtual World
- Understand the importance of cyber-safety
- Be aware of the information shared online
- Gain awareness of cyber-grooming techniques
- Develop a Cyber-Safety Plan
If you have any questions about the content of the program or if you wish to inquire about opting out, please contact the school office.
Thank you for partnering with us as we continue to provide learning opportunities to improve the safety and well-being of our students.
Hanshew Middle School Principal
MAP Growth Newsletter Information
MAP Growth is the ASD benchmark assessment for students in grades 3-9 in reading and mathematics. Grades 10-12 also take MAP Growth as part of Tier II and Tier III reading and mathematics courses.
MAP Growth is an online assessment tool used for instructional purposes. MAP Growth is an adaptive assessment that provides each student a personalized testing experience with data that speaks to their individual progress and growth in mathematics and reading. Practice tests and accommodations are available. MAP Growth will be administered three times per year during the ASD Benchmark windows: fall, winter and spring. The benchmark windows for 2018-2019 are:
- Fall—September 4 - September 24
- Winter—November 26 - December 14
- Spring—April 22 - May 10
MAP Growth practice tests are available to allow students the opportunity to become familiar with the types of questions and tools available on the actual MAP Grow assessments such as, the highlighter and calculator. Practice tests are provided at practice.mapnwea.org and require login information (USERNAME: grow PASSWORD: grow) to access.