Notification of Absence
- Please report Absence/Tardy through Parent Connect or call the attendance line at 907-566-7501 OR
- Send in a note excusing the Absence if you have not reported it through other means to excuse your student.
- We appreciate students arriving to school on time. The first bell rings at 8:00 a.m., and the Tardy bell rings at 8:15 a.m. Students are expected to be in their classroom by 8:15 a.m. If a student is going to be Tardy, Parents should report the Tardy no later than 8:10 a.m. to ease the congestion of morning phone calls.
- Parents must report through ParentConnect, provide a signed note, phone call, or accompany your student to the Front Office, or your child's Tardy will be Unexcused and result in a detention.
- Students who are late because of a late bus will be provided a bus pass and be counted as Present.
- Students arriving late from a medical appointment must provide a medical provider's note excusing the Tardy.
- Hanshew Middle School opens its doors at 7:15 a.m. for early drop off to help reduce tardiness and traffic congestion.
Blue Pass (Official Pass to Leave School during School Hours)
- Please report early dismissals through ParentConnect or send a note with your student the day of the appointment to exchange for a Blue Pass. Students shall bring the note to the front office. You may also call 907-742-9930 to request a Blue Pass well in advance of the appointment. Please plan to give the office at least one (1) hours' notice.
- Please avoid picking up students during the last 15 minutes of the school day.
- Please avoid making appointments during tests and/or final exams.
- Please come to the front office and sign your student out prior to their departure.
- Your student is allowed to ride a different bus from their own if they provide the front office with a note or phone call from their parent/guardian.
- Bus pass requests MUST be made before 12:00 p.m.
- If you plan to miss Three (3) or more days of school, please complete a Pre-Approved Absence form, which is located here: Pre-Arranged Absence Request Form or in the front office. Parents will fill out the front portion, students will take the form to teachers to fill out the back portion, and the student will then return the form to the front office one week prior to absence.
- Homework and PE make-up pages will be uploaded into Canvas. If your student is unable to complete work on Canvas while gone, please connect with their teachers for make-up work.
- If your student is out due to Medical Reasons or a Family Emergency, please contact the Front Office to report the student’s absence.
- If your student has been marked Absent and you believe it is a mistake, please email the teacher to see if the student was in class. The teacher will then reach out to the office to adjust the attendance if appropriate.
- For any other attendance questions, contact Rochele Turner at 907-742-9930 or email@example.com.