Additional Parent Information
Parking: Below are some friendly reminders to keep students safe and parents accident free.
- Double check mirrors, use turn signals, pay attention to signage, and be mindful of dark and icy conditions. All roads around the building are one-way during drop-off and pick-up, 7:45am-8:15am &2:15pm-3:15pm. Enter the school using the Rives Court intersection/light.
- Only drop-off and pick-up students at the front of the building by either the library or main entrance (by the flagpole).
- Always yield to buses, and leave room at the curb by the library entrance for Special Education buses to load or disembark.
- Please do not drive faster than 5 MPH while in the drop-off/pick-up area, and form two lanes of traffic.
- Patience and courtesy go a long way to lessen the stress of high traffic times. Please wait your turn and show consideration for other drivers.
- The safety of our students, parents, and staff are of utmost importance to us. Please help us continue to keep these priorities at Hanshew Middle School.
Attention Hanshew Parents!
No medication shall be administered without proper written consent/permission by the parent/guardian and/or physician. The school nurse will provide you with the proper form for the type of medication. All medications must be brought to the nurse in their original container, labeled with the students' name, and accompanied by the proper form. All medications must be delivered to the nurse by the parent/guardian unless approved by the nurse or school administration. Students are prohibited from carryingany medications on school grounds except for certain emergency medications by prearrangement with the nurse and physician. The school nurse will dispense all prescription and non-prescription medications. Please be aware that the Mumps outbreaks have been reported in several states. We would like you to be aware, so here is a link to better explain - http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/Mumps.aspx
Lunch Account Balances
You can now get a notification when your child’s lunch account balance runs low! Parents can enter information in Q ParentConnection to receive an email or phone call once their child's balance is below the threshold that the parent sets. Once logged in to Q, select Online Payments and then Student Balance Notifications. ParentConnection Cafeteria Balance. Click here to apply for free/reduced price meals or find the new web portal for Free and Reduced Meals.