Dimond High School Guidelines
Message from the Principal
Greetings and welcome to A.J. Dimond High School. As your principal, I am excited and looking forward to meeting each and every one of you. I encourage you to use this handbook as your guide to the policies and procedures of Dimond High and the Anchorage School District. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask a Dimond staff member. We are here to help you and to ensure that you have positive and successful experiences at Dimond High School.
In keeping up with Dimond’s legacy of academic, athletic and fine arts excellence, I strongly encourage you to get involved in Dimond’s various clubs, academic activities and athletics. There is something for everyone. Keep the legacy going.
Tina Johnson-Harris, Principal
Dimond High School’s mission is to facilitate optimal learning for all students to empower them to lead fulfilling and productive lives in a rapidly changing and increasingly complex society.
- Learning is the chief priority for our school
- All students can learn; students learn in different ways and need a variety of instructional approaches to support their learning
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process
Assistant Principal: Curriculum
Assistant Principal: Activities
Assistant Principal: Staff & Student Services
How to Succeed at Dimond
- Attendance is key to learning. Improving attendance is a major goal of the 2018-19 school year. Be aware that 10 or more excused OR unexcused absences in any class(es) will result in attendance probation. Fifteen or more absences may result in loss of credit for the class(es).
- Be on time.
- Be prepared by bringing text, pen, pencil, paper and other required materials. Leaving class to retrieve forgotten items may count as a tardy.
- Respect the rights of other students in class. Don’t disrupt.
- Complete homework and projects on time. These are your “work” and your earned grade is your “pay”.
- Take care of your assigned textbooks and locker. Excessive wear and tear will be assessed a fine.
- Ask questions, pay attention and stay engaged in class. You will learn more by participating.
- Look for “real life” applications for what you are learning.
- Help Dimond continuously improve. Be solution-oriented and take your ideas to Student Government or to a staff member.
- Help maintain a safe school. If you hear about or see a concern, refer it to a trusted adult.
- Be familiar with Dimond’s policies and procedures. Know what is expected of you.