Alaska Railroad Tour Guide Program
Info for Website:
Alaska Railroad Tour Guide Program: H865600
Grade Level 11-12 | One Semester-Spring | Prerequisite: None | .5 Alaska Studies or elective credit.
The Alaska Railroad Tour Guide program is an intensive training program which is designed for students to develop a thorough knowledge of Alaska visitor interests and professional skills as tour guides and ambassadors for Alaska Tourism. The program is sponsored through a School Business Partnership between the Alaska Railroad and ASD - King Tech High. This specialized training includes customer service training, cross-cultural communication, public speaking, Alaska geography, economy, history, and tourism-related interests. Training provides students with excellent job skills and opportunities in the tourism industry with a specific focus on a tour guide for the Alaska Railroad. An application and interview with the Alaska Railroad will be scheduled for those who successfully complete the training.
Class is held Monday through Thursday, January 23 - April 13, 2023 | 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Applications are available on the King Tech website or by contacting Amy Brumbaugh at Brumbaugh_Amy@asdk12.org
- Send completed applications to Brumbaugh_Amy@asdk12.org
- Applications are accepted until 5:00 PM on January 12th, 2023
- Must be 16 years old, a junior or senior in high school, and possess a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Students selected to be Tour Guides are expected to work full-time during the summer, between the end and beginning of the school year.
- Students are selected through a screening process which includes an application, recommendation by a counselor, and interview.
- Alaska’s tourist destinations
- Customer service skills
- Public speaking/cross-cultural communication
- First Aid and CPR
- Knowledge of Alaska's history, geography, ecosystems, Alaska flora and fauna