AEA Ratifies Tentative Agreement
On February 22nd, 2022, the Anchorage School Board approved the contract.
“We are pleased to have reached a resolution with the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) in this contract negotiation. The District’s focus is to maintain and foster conditions where strong, effective teaching practices are encouraged and can thrive. We know that effective teaching practices lead to improved student outcomes. This focused approach is aligned with our mission to educate all students for success in life.”
-Dr. Deena Bishop, Superintendent.
Update from February 17th, 2022:
After a thorough review of the tentative agreement, on February 17th the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) ratified the contract. The Anchorage School Board will now consider the ratified agreement for approval and adoption on Tuesday, February 22nd.
Original News Release from January 28th, 2022:
Anchorage: The Anchorage School District (ASD) and the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) are pleased to announce a tentative agreement in the on-going contract negotiations. The new three-year agreement, if approved by AEA members and the School Board, would cover the period July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2024 and addresses compensation and working conditions for more than 3000 educators.
Contract Agreement Highlights:
- Salary increases for all educators, especially in the first year of the contract
- A simplified, restructured salary schedule
- Opportunities for educators in the defined contribution tier of the state’s retirement system (Tier III) to contribute to a supplemental retirement plan
- Clarified expectations related to grading, educator planning time, and meeting duration and frequency
“First, I want to thank our educators for their continued unwavering dedication to our students, especially during these challenging times,” said Dr. Deena Bishop, Superintendent of the Anchorage School District. “Second, I want to thank the negotiation teams for their dedication in finding the necessary common ground throughout this process. The resulting agreement recognizes educators with a generous compensation and benefits package. It also provides clarity regarding working conditions that I think will benefit not only educators and administrators but also our students, families, and other community stakeholders.”
Corey Aist, AEA President and also a member of the AEA bargaining team, agreed. “I am proud of the work the teams accomplished during a lengthy negotiation process. Although it wasn’t always comfortable at the bargaining table, the goal was to foster an environment where educators could share their interests through their bargaining team and where the District team could convey management interests. In the end, I think the collaborative process we engaged in was worth the effort, and the result is an agreement that the AEA bargaining team whole-heartedly endorses and that will support increasing student outcomes.”
AEA educators will now review the tentative agreement before taking a ratification vote in mid-February. The School Board would then consider the ratified agreement for approval and adoption at its meeting on February 22.
- Rockey, Tim. "Anchorage School District, teachers agree to tentative contract", KTUU, January 28, 2022
- DeMarben, Alex. "Anchorage School District and teachers union reach tentative agreement on long-delayed labor contract" Anchorage Daily News, January 28, 2022
- Enslow, Patrick. "Contract negotiations between school district and teachers union remain work in progress after federal mediation" KTUU, December 15, 2021
- DeMarben, Alex. "Anchorage teachers union and school district declare impasse over contract" Anchorage Daily News, November 16, 2021
- DeMarben, Alex. "Anchorage teachers rally as contract negotiations continue with school district" Anchorage Daily News, October 21, 2021
- Davenport, Samantha. "Contract negotiations underway between Anchorage School District and teachers union" Anchorage Daily News, April 17, 2021