BSA: Base Student Allocation
- Appropriate funding to halt further cuts. There has been no cost of living increase since 2011, other than one time additional funds. This has forced a large increase in class sizes.
- Finalize school funding by March 1 so the Anchorage School District may plan budgets effectively, efficiently, and responsibly.
- Adopt a hold harmless clause to prevent funding reduction by the current school size factor for the next five years if districts consolidate schools to achieve budgetary efficiencies.
- Commission a new “School Cost Differential Factor” (SCD) study, as the 2015 ISER “Teacher Cost” study indicates current SCD is not accurate and favors some districts over others.
- Amend current language in the Foundation Formula to include CTE, Gifted, and Special Education for correspondence students.
- Maintain funding at an inflation-proofed level to avoid forcing districts to reduce classroom funding to pay for transportation.
Bond Debt Reimbursement
- Restore the funding reimbursement on existing and future bond debt to the former limits of 70/30 or 60/40 split to provide some fairness across communities statewide. Avoid necessitating the need for districts to use general operating budget funds for debt retirement.
Issues considered by the Anchorage School Board:
- Status quo state funding does not account for inflationary costs
- PEAKS testing created a public loss of confidence in student achievement
- The freeze on bond debt reimbursement has had negative impact on the ASD’s ability to address deferred maintenance and other facility needs
For copies of a presentation by the Anchorage School Board and Administration and supporting documents, you may request these and more from ASD Communications & Community Outreach.
Email for requests: email@example.com.
Share Your Thoughts on School Funding
Share your thoughts on school funding and what you value in public education.
- Share a public opinion message with all legislators: www.legis.state.ak.us/poms
- Email the governor and legislators: gov.alllegislators@Alaska.gov
- Contact your area’s elected representatives: http://myneighborhood.muni.org
If you believe there are cost-saving measures which ASD has not addressed, email the school board at firstname.lastname@example.org.