Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. | Main Phone: (907) 742-4322
Location: 5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd. Anchorage, Alaska 99504
- Work directly with charter school principals, Academic Policy Committee (APC) Chairpersons and APC
- Coordinate and facilitate communication between charter schools and departments in the ASD
- Assist new charter or alternative school proposals with ASD application process
- Insure charter school contract compliance
Charter schools in Alaska are public schools that are approved, monitored and supported by their local school district. There are currently nine (9) public charter schools operating in the Anchorage School District serving approximately 3,000 students. Our charter schools differ from other ASD schools in three significant ways;
- They are governed by an elected board called an Academic Policy Committee (APC).
- The principal is hired and contracted by the APC.
- They are exempt from the school district's textbook, program, curriculum, and scheduling requirements, as outlined in the approved charter contract.
Charter schools are expected to follow all ASD school board policy and procedures unless expressly waived in their approved charter. Charter schools operate under a contract with the ASD and must renewed their contract every 10 years.
Please contact your school if you have questions about the curriculum or your child’s progress. There are many opportunities for parent involvement.