Enrolling Your Child in Kindergarten
When to register
Children must be five years old on or before September 1 to be enrolled in kindergarten.
If the child's birthday is between Sept. 2 and Sept. 14, the child qualifies for testing. If the child meets the qualifications for free/reduced meals, the district will cover the cost for the test. If the child does not qualify for free/reduced meals, the parent must pay to have a licensed psychologist do the test.
If a family is moving into the district from another state and the child is not yet five, but was enrolled in a public school where they came from, then the child can be enrolled at an ASD school. Being enrolled in any other kind of school in Anchorage (private, parochial, etc.) does not qualify a child to be enrolled here and he/she will need to meet the age criteria.
Note: Kindergarten families need to wait until after July 1 to apply for Free and Reduced Lunch for the 2018-19 school year.
- Proof of residency, such as a utility or phone bill, contract of purchase or lease agreement.
- Current official record of immunization due by the first day of school:
- Diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus
- Measles, mumps and rubella
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (two doses are required for K-6)
- Birth certificate for kindergarten and first-grade students
In addition to the documents required for all students, parents should also bring:
- Names and phone numbers of emergency contacts and individuals who may pick up the child from school
- Copies of legal papers if there is a custody situation
All students transferring into the district will receive a health screening by a school nurse within 90 days, to meet the physical examination requirement.
Preschool: All children attending an ASD preschool are required to register and be immunized. Students may register, but will not be allowed to attend classes until the shot record is on file.
- ASD enrollment form: Student and contact information is used to contact parents/guardians in an emergency.
- Release and disclosure of directory information form: Tells the district what information may or may not be released about your student.
- Survey permission form: Tells the district whether or not your student can participate in certain school surveys.
- Media release form: Used to grant parent/ guardian permission for use of student information, photos, images, etc. for use in media projects.
Other forms that may be required for your child:
- Internet agreement for students
- Health forms
- Migrant education survey
- English Language Learners survey
- Free and reduced meals application form
- Optional student accident and health insurance
- Title VI Indian Education eligibility
After registration, schools will contact families to arrange appointments for orientations. Kindergarten teachers will meet individually with parents and students for a brief welcome with assessment activities during the first week of school. Kindergarten classes start a week later than the rest of the district in order to accommodate these family meetings. This information assists teachers in making decisions about classroom instruction and helps establish a positive partnership between the home and the school.
Countdown to kindergarten
5. February: Visit schools
Check out what educational opportunities are available in ASD and visit schools! School tours are offered at every school on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. during the month of February.
4. March-April: Decide on your child's school
Parents interested in having their child attend their neighborhood school do not need to sign up until school registration, held during the first full week of August. Parents interested in having their child attend a school other than the neighborhood school must complete an online application.
3. May-July: Plan routines for the school year
Read the 10 Ways to Get Ready for Kindergarten for tips. Visit your child’s school playground over the summer so they become familiar with their school site.
2. August: Get ready for school
1. Start school!
See the school calendar page for the current academic year calendar where important dates can be found.