Problem-Solving Options

  • Do you need help working through a concern about district procedures or with personnel? The best place to start is with the person or persons closest to the problem, if at all possible. When the concern or problem arises at a school, your principal should be your next point of contact to seek a solution. However, if a solution can't be worked out at the school, you have other options: 

Education Divisions

Academic Services complaint recipients

Special Education

Special Education complaint recipients

Other Divisions

Other ASD Divisions
  • ASD Citizen Complaint Process

    Citizen Complaint form

    You may use this process to address complaints against any ASD employee, policy, practice or procedure, including rights protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972.


    If your complaint concerns instructional materials, please don't use the Citizen Complaint form. For complaints about instructional materials, please contact the Teaching and Learning Department or submit a REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION OF INSTRUCTIONAL OR LIBRARY MATERIALS form.


    The Citizen Complaint form may be filled out by hand or on the computer, but should then be printed out and mailed to the superintendent's office at:


    ASD Education Center
    5530 E Northern Lights Blvd.
    Anchorage, AK 99504-3135

Last Modified on September 21, 2023