• The Anchorage School District is participating in the Alaska Medicaid School-based Services Program. This program allows school districts to bill Medicaid for partial reimbursement of health services provided in schools to Medicaid-eligible students who receive special education services. Medicaid school-based services include occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech-language, hearing services and behavioral health services.

    Parent Permission Needed

    If your child receives any of the above services and qualifies for Medicaid benefits at any time during the school year, we need your permission to bill your child’s Medicaid insurance.  

    arrow down


    Translated versions: Download the Parent Permission for Medicaid School-based Services Form

                                               Translated Versions: Hmong  Korean  Russian  Samoan  Spanish  Tagalog

  • Q&A

    What is the Medicaid/Denali KidCare Program?

    The Medicaid/Denali KidCare program assists states to provide health benefits to children and families who qualify, either through income or disability. Funding for special education services is available through the Alaska Medicaid Program. With parent consent, the district may receive partial reimbursement for some services included in the child’s Individual Education Program. Services may include occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy or audiology.

    Will my consent to bill Medicaid/Denali KidCare affect the services my child is getting?

    No. Your consent only allows the Medicaid program to reimburse the district for your child’s services required in the IEP. There is no impact to your child’s out-of-school services. 

    Will the special education services my child receives in school be limited because we sign up for Medicaid?

    No. Medicaid does not have limitations on the amount or kinds of services your child can receive from the school.

  • Q&A

    Can my private insurance company also be billed for services provided in school?
    No. Private insurance companies do not cover services provided in schools.

    Can the school bill Medicaid for my child’s services without my consent?
    No. Parental consent is needed to bill Medicaid. If you choose not to give consent, your child will continue to receive the same level of services required in the IEP. In making your decision, here are three important facts to consider:

    • When you give your consent, all information about your child will be kept confidential.
    • The funds the school district receives will benefit all students.
    • Permitting the district to bill the Medicaid/Denali KidCare program will not affect any of the services your child is currently receiving either in school or out of school. 

    Where can I get more information?
    Contact the ASD Medicaid Office at 742-6068 with questions.