Anchorage School Board
Creating a high performing district
The Anchorage School Board is a municipal-wide elected body with governance responsibility for the Anchorage School District. As a governance board, it is our responsibility to:
- set a clear direction for the district;
- empower and hold accountable the superintendent for implementing our direction and managing district operations;
- develop and adopt policies and budgets that support and implement the board’s direction; and
- model the professionalism and degree of effort they expect from students, families and staff.
Betsy Paskvan has been awarded the 2017 Terry Higley Teacher of Excellence award by the Alaskans For Language Acquisition (AFLA)! Betsy has been a driving force in the Alaskan language teaching world, known to teach with the students' interests at heart.
The Anchorage School Board recognizes KTVA Teachers of the Week.
Alaska Native students from Wendler Middle School recited the Pledge of Allegiance and sang “Alaska’s Flag” in Yu’pik. Leading the students was Rosa Luhrs, Wendler Community Counselor Indian Education. November is Alaska Native Heritage Month.
Agendas, memos and documents
School board documents are available through BoardDocs. Documents prior to October 2012 are in the board archives. Board committee information is available under the "Library" tab. Policies are also available under the "Policies" tab.
Beginning with the Board Meeting on August 1, the Anchorage School Board will follow a new time schedule. The Board meets twice a month using the following format:
- 4-6 p.m. Work session in the boardroom
- 6-7 p.m. Regular meeting - executive/early session in conference room 150
- 7 p.m. Regular meeting – late session in the boardroom
The Work Session and the Regular Session are broadcast live on ASD-TV online.
You may sign up to testify, in person or telephonically, on an agenda item or other topic not on the agenda. There are two opportunities to testify during board meetings: At the beginning and end of each session. Speaking time is limited to three minutes.
School board meetings are held at the ASD Education Center, 5530 E Northern Lights Blvd., unless otherwise noted. An assistive listening system is available for use in the school board meeting room. To obtain headsets and information, call 907-742-4312.