Substitutes for certificated positions provide classroom coverage for absent teachers and school nurses. Substitutes who have not worked in 12 months will be removed from the substitute roster and will need to reapply.
A substitute teacher must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. A long-term* substitute teacher must hold a current Alaska teaching certificate before beginning the long-term assignment.
How to Apply as a Teacher Substitute
If you are interested in applying for a substitute teacher position, please start by filling out an online application. When we have reviewed and approved your application, we will email you documents to complete and provide other instructions. The team will assist you in completing your hire paperwork online. Once you are authorized to work as a substitute teacher, you will be offered online training opportunities in classroom management. Be sure and look for the training flyer in your hire paperwork.
School Nurse Substitutes
A substitute school nurse must have an associate's degree in nursing from an accredited college or university. Long-term substitute school nurses must hold a valid Alaska type C special services certificate with a nursing endorsement.
How to Apply as a School Nurse Substitute
If you are interested in applying for a substitute school nurse position, please start by filling out an online application. After your application is reviewed, you will receive a phone call from the Health Services Department to set up a screening interview. If you are considered eligible to substitute, our Substitute Dispatch team will contact you about completing the hire paperwork. Once you are authorized to work as a substitute school nurse, you will be offered online training opportunities through our Health Services Department.
If you have any questions, please call Substitute Dispatch at 907-742-4128.
Pay Schedule for Certificated Substitutes
Substitute position Rate of ray Regular daily rate
$150 per day, $75 per half day
$285 per day
$250 per day, $125 per half day
* Long-term substitute assignments are used to fill a vacant position or when an employee is out on long-term leave. A long-term substitute teacher has responsibilities for lesson planning, grading, parent communications, and the many other duties of a full-time teacher. They teach assigned courses at the secondary level or fill in as the classroom teacher at the elementary level. The long-term substitute is the teacher for the period of long-term assignment. To recognize the scope of their professional responsibility and commitment to a long-term assignment, long-term substitutes are compensated at a rate of $285 per workday. A long-term substitute must possess a current Alaska teacher certificate prior to the start of the assignment.
Classified substitute positions are substituting for paraprofessional educators, clerical staff, safety and security staff, and student nutrition assistants. A classified substitute must have a minimum of a high school diploma or a GED. Substitutes who have not worked in 12 months will be removed from the substitute roster and will need to reapply.
How to Apply as a Classified Substitute
If you are interested in applying for a position as a classified substitute, please start by filling out an online application. When we have reviewed and approved your application, we will email you documents to complete and provide other instructions. The team will assist you in completing your hire paperwork online.
If you have any questions, please call Customer Care at 907-742-4115.
Pay Schedule for Classified Substitutes
Substitute position Rate of pay
Paraprofessional Educator Substitute
$16.25 per hour
$17.50 per hour
Safety Security Substitute
$20.00 per hour
Student Nutrition Cafe Assistant Substitute
$12.50 per hour
Special Notes for Certificated and Classified Substitutes
- Student teachers – Please submit official transcripts or clear copies of your official transcripts indicating your bachelor's degree to the HR Talent Management Department. You may upload your transcripts to your online application.
- PE, art, and music – These substitute teaching jobs may be itinerant. This means you may travel to multiple sites in a day. Please read/listen carefully to the special instructions for jobs of this type. If you cannot or are not willing to travel, please do not take the job, or cancel the job more than one hour before start time.
- Canceling a job – If you must cancel a job right before the start of the job, please call both Substitute Dispatch and the school and let them know you are canceling.
- Illness – If you know you are not feeling well, please do not accept a job. This creates a problem for the school if you need to leave halfway through the job.
- Military base access passes – Security rules for access to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson are in effect.
More About Special Education Paraprofessional Educators
Information on the special education school based behavior support program
Information on special education life skills classrooms
Information on special education structured classrooms programs