Medications at School

  • Prescription medicine may be administered at school when prescribed by a licensed healthcare provider with prescriptive authority in the State of Alaska, and provided in a container labeled by the pharmacy or the legal prescriber. The State of Alaska grants prescriptive authority to physicians (MD and DO), physician assistants (PA), advanced nurse practitioners (ANP, FNP, PNP) and dentists. The proper forms must be completed for administering all medications at school per school year.


    Parents are responsible for providing all medications to the school nurse in the original container accompanied by the appropriate form. The school nurse is responsible for reviewing all medication requests, including those for a field trip or overnight student school travel. 


    Self-Carry Medications


    Some students are allowed to self-carry emergency medications (inhaler, insulin, epinephrine auto injector) but this must be clearly authorized by the legal prescriber, parent/guardian and nurse on the student’s Care Plan. This is the only time a student can carry medication.




    Presciption Medication: Long Term

    Permission form for allowing school personnel to administer medical provider prescribed medication for more than 15 days during the current school year. A written statement indicating students name, DOB, medication name, dose, route, and frequency that is signed and dated by a medical provider with prescriptive authority in Alaska is required will also be accepted. Must be renewed annually.


    Prescription Medication: Short Term 

    Permission form for allowing school personnel to administer medical provider prescribed short-term prescriptions for a period of time not to exceed 15 days. A current pharmacy label on the container will be accepted as the legal prescriber's authorization for short term medications.



    Parent permission form for requesting the district give non-prescription medicine under certain conditions. Use this form for the current school year for any non-herbal, non-homeopathic medications that can be purchased at a store. Must be renewed annually.


    Out of District Travel

    Parent permission form for requesting school personnel to assist students or parents of students whose health care provider has prescribed short-term medicines not to exceed the duration of a trip.