Superintendent Dr. Deena Bishop
We are at the close of another year…
Thank you for a remarkable school year! The more than 6,000 employees – including 3,400 teachers, 140 principals, and 2,460 education support staff – have made a difference every day for our 47,700 students in 130 schools and programs. You have been there: at bus duty, serving lunch, greeting students in the hallway, cracking open a book with a group, cheering at a game, encouraging through a concert, or guiding in an experiment. These countless acts of teaching and kindness have made ASD strong!
John F. Kennedy once said, “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” It is in everyday attitudes and actions that we demonstrate the kind of work to which President Kennedy referred. I’m appreciative for the many ways in which we have worked together to live by our mission of educating all students for success in life. Here is just a sample of some of this year’s accomplishments:
- Teachers entered 994,363 student assignments into Q
- 256 bus drivers transported 20,000 students daily, over three million miles annually
- 48 instructional coaches provided professional development in our elementary schools
- 600 School Business Partnerships with schools across the District
- 336 Student Nutrition employees served 10,316 daily average breakfasts and 18,524 daily average lunches
- Information Technology’s Field Services staff closed 10,350 service tickets
- District and schools Safety and Security staff reported more than 1,700 safety drills conducted
- Music and Fine Arts teachers conducted 600 student concerts and staged at least six District and community art gallery shows
- Capital Planning and Construction employees are working on 62 projects totaling $50.1 million that are renovating and improving our facilities
- Project Management and Communications launched the new District and school websites and mobile app (more than 17,300 downloads) with a focus on need-to-know content for parents, students, and the community through a user-friendly, integrated system
- 130 Quyanas submitted by members of the community thanking individuals for the work they are doing every day in our schools and departments
- 3,253 seniors graduated from 21 schools and programs
Thank you. The work each of you do at ASD makes our students’ experiences rich, personally and academically.
I hope your summer is filled with making memories with family and friends. Enjoy all that Alaska offers and I look forward to welcoming you back in August for the start of another rewarding year.
Dr. Deena Bishop