Anchorage School District
FY24 Budget Solutions
Why is ASD considering closing schools and programs?
What efficiencies can be created from modifying the ASD Virtual and Middle School models?
How do the ESSER funds and Pupil to Teacher Ratio affect the district?
Areas for Detailed Analysis
- Review schools for closure/repurpose, school-based minimum and metric-based staffing levels, ASDV, special programs (e.g. immersion & IB), MS model, addenda levels, and pull-out programs (IGNITE, 6th grade band/orchestra, etc.)
- Review ESSER II/III planned expenditures to help soften FY 24 deficit
- Review 1:1 costs & short/long-term plan to support elementary and secondary, district software, policy & procedure for lost/broken student equipment
- Review District Administrative staff, contracts, insurance coverage limits, Student Nutrition debt practices, facility renting fees, Student Transportation, etc.
- Potential for increased revenue (i.e., outsource capabilities to other districts/municipalities, expand Medicaid reimbursement, etc.)
- Review sports and activities to determine potential cost savings and possibly reduce programs. Review activity fee rates and gate fees for games
- ASD’s prioritization efforts will be informed through layered community, family and staff input (surveys, town halls, etc.)
- Morgan Krakow, ADN:"Anchorage School Board allocates almost $60 million in one-time state funding" Published: October 5, 2022
- Katie Anastas, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage: "Anchorage parents, students ask school board to keep funding for language immersion programs" Published: October 5, 2022
- Lex Yelverton, KTUU: "Packed Anchorage School Board meeting unveils revisions to fiscal year budget" Published: October 5, 2022
- Morgan Krakow, ADN: "Leaky roofs and a looming deficit" Published: October 1, 2022
- Shannon Cole and Lex Yelverton, KTUU: "Cuts and closures loom for Anchorage School District" Published: September 20, 2022
- Katie Anastas, Alaska Public Media - Anchorage: "A variety of factors created the $68M budget shortfall" Published: September 26, 2022