What You Should Know About Equal Employment Opportunity
Anchorage School District employees and applicants for employment with the Anchorage School District may contact the Employee Relations Office with concerns about employment rights, including rights protected under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Before Filing a Discrimination Complaint
Any employee or applicant for employment who believes he/she has experienced unlawful discrimination may file a complaint with the Employee Relations Office or with an external agency.
In order to resolve issues quickly and at the lowest level possible, employees should do the following:
- Discuss the concern with his/her immediate supervisor. If the supervisor is the source of the concern, or the employee is uncomfortable discussing the concern with the supervisor, then the employee should;
- Discuss the concern with the department or division director or supervisor or contact the Employee Relations Office;
- If the department supervisor does not respond to the concern within five (5) working days, or it is determined upon consultation between the employee and the Employee Relations Office that circumstances prevent using steps (1) or (2), the employee may file a discrimination complaint with the Employee Relations Office.
Employees may contact the Employee Relations Office at anytime during the process for general information and guidance.
The district shall meet all applicable federal, state and local requirements set out in the following laws and ordinances:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- Alaska Human Rights Law, AS 18.80
- Anchorage Municipal Code, Title V, Chapter 5: Article 20
Title IX, ADA and Section 504 Policies
Consistent with the requirements of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Anchorage School District does not discriminate on the basis of sex or disability in any education or employment program, practice, or activity.
Inquiries or Complaints
For inquiries or complaints, please contact an Employee Relations Specialist
Employee Relations Specialist
Employee Relations Specialist
Employee Relations/Labor Relations Office
ASD Education Center
5530 E. Northern Lights Blvd.
Anchorage, Alaska 99504-3135
The Complaint Process
Discrimination complaints must be filed within 180 days of the most recent alleged discriminatory act/behavior.
Click here for the EEO Complaint and Resolution Process.
- The complainant must complete and return the Intake Questionnaire to the Employee Relations Office.
- The complainant must meet with an Employee Relations representative for an intake interview.
- The complainant must provide information and/or evidence to substantiate the alleged discrimination or harassment.
Investigations will be completed as promptly as possible but may take up to forty-five (45) work days.
Any student or employee who believes that he or she has been the subject of unlawful harassment or discrimination should report the incident immediately to the principal or department supervisor. All complaints of harassment or discrimination will be promptly investigated.
Employees and students may also report an incident of harassment or discrimination directly to the Employee Relations Office or to an external agency including the Municipality of Anchorage Equal Rights Commission, Municipality of Anchorage Ombudsman's Office, Alaska State Commission for Human Rights, U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Any student or employee who violates these policies will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.